Friday, 2 December 2016

Chalk deposits, Botany Bay, Kent - a contemporary version

Chalk deposits, Botany Bay, Kent (contemporary) - oil, 8 x 8 inches (20 x 20 cm)

While painting a previous more impressionistic version I kept thinking that I should try to interpret it in a different way as it seemed to be an ideal subject with which to try.  Simple as it looks, it was quite hard not to tighten up.  There's a lot going on just off the beach with rocks, seaweed, green slime and many pieces of chalk.  A lot of interruptions certainly didn't help keep the mind focused on the way I was trying to interpret the scene!

I've been away from the easel far too much for a long time and doing small works does help me to get back into things.  Fewer square inches with which to be disappointed when things go wrong! However, I do have urges to paint quite big once I'm 'tuned' back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...